Monday, December 1, 2008

Album Review: Chinese Democracy

Is this new album by Axl Rose & friends the complete train wreck everyone thinks it is? No.

Is it the best album I have ever heard in my life? No.

Is it horrible? Well, not exactly.

The songs have some very good parts, interesting solos and time changes. What the fuck is with all the samples, strings, horns and piano? How can a song called 'Prostitute' by a hard rock band have a piano outro? Come on fella! A few things need to be said first. Buckethead is an absolute kick ass guitarist. Even though it is hard to tell which solos are his? There was definitely a lot of cutting & pasting of material from all the various takes. I also prefer some of the demo versions of songs, such as Madagascar to their finished counterparts. I really wonder how many takes of songs Axl did? I am sure he and the producers only know for sure. Perhaps a boxed set eventually? Overall, I think this album sounds like a band recorded songs in one room and someone left the TV on loud in another and they put the two recordings together. A definite ego trip and an overproduced record. I would still check it out to see what all the hullabaloo is about and to check out Buckethead's work, but not at all a classic album.

Verdict: I give it 2 out of 5 Scouts.

No comments: